Proverbs and wise sayings in relation to rice from Malaysia – Common sayings seem to be the rice roots of any culture. Handled down over generations orally from one to another with their own spin, they can give us insights into worldview.
Common sayings seem to be the rice roots of any culture. Handled down over generations orally from one to another with their own spin, they can give us insights into worldview. Traditional values have disappeared or are changed over time, but some proverbs that explicate moral and spiritual wisdom remain with the people. Still told to help educate and pass wisdom down from one to another, they teach a message of behavior or give philosophical wisdom.
They have been defined as the wisdom of many and the wit of one.
Although sayings, like proverbs and maxim may be highly believed and are current in the same culture they ironically often contradict each other.
As Lim Kim Hui states:
The philosophical conception of the good spirit of paddy, was probably later developed into the philosophical notion of budi, the good (virtue, wisdom, intelligence, kindness …), as can be observed through a few proverbs that commend the knowledgeable person who imitates the culture of paddy,
“semakin berisi semakin tunduk”,
the more knowledgeable you are, the more humble you become;
the more humble you are, the more intelligence you become.
Baik membawa resmi padi, daripada membawa resmi lalang
It is better to follow the nature of paddy than the nature of lalang [tall grass]
Bawa resmi padi, makin berisi makin tunduk
Follow the nature of paddy, the more it possesses the more it will bow
Ilmu padi, makin berisi makin rendah
Like an ear of corn which the fuller it is of grain, the lower it bends
~ ○ ~
Works Cited & Multimedia Sources
- THE MOTHER GODDESS OF FERTILITY AND RICE
- TIMELINE: The story of rice
- MALAYSIA: The Rice Soul- Myths, History and Folklore of RICE Beras or Nasi
- CHINA: Proverbs and wise sayings in relation to RICE 稻
- CHINA: On the origin of Rice 稻 – Myths, History and Folklore
- THAILAND: Mae Posop- Myths, History and Folklore of RICE
- THAILAND: Proverbs and wise sayings in relation to RICE K̄ĥāw
- INDIA: Proverbs and wise sayings in relation to RICE Chaaval
- INDIA: Myths, History and Folklore of RICE
- INDONESIA: Myths, History and Folklore of RICE Nasi
- INDONESIA: FOLK TALES ON RICE
- INDIA: FOLK TALES ON RICE
- CHINA : FOLK TALES ON RICE 稻
- BALI- INDONESIA: Myths, History and Folklore of RICE Nasi
- Lim Kim Hui. Budi as the Malay mind: A philosophical study of Malay ways of reasoning and emotion in peribahasa. 2003.